Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Somebody's Boring Me

I think it's me. -Dylan Thomas

I could not have stumbled across (googled) a more perfect quote for myself! I made an interesting discovery the other morning, as one usually does when one is staving off the eminent alarm. That discovery was this; I am a snooze.

I'm a colossal bore! I bore myself! I understand that this was the basis of my 2014 project to begin with, but it has really set in. I don't do a thing. And something that has always haunted me in one way or another is getting blown off. Throughout my semi-social life, from the time I was in middle school to now, I've been consistently bailed on. And I get it now! I'm so immensely mind-numbing that people actually forget to call me back, invite me out, include me in activities. And after spending these few months reviewing myself and trying to excavate my interests, I can't say as I blame them!

This is not a sob entry, though. I feel like you got enough of that out of me from my last post. (Which, I sincerely appreciate everyone's positive feedback on. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.) No, this post is an update on what I've been doing to date myself! I've become more interesting to me, and I have to say, I like it!

My first real foray into creating hobbies for myself came in the form of a motorcycle! I spent weeks cleaning and detailing my uncles' motorcycle that he intended to sell. Halfway through the process I realized, 'I want this!'. So I bought it! Riding motorcycles has been a family tradition for years, my dad raced motocross when he was sixteen, and both he and my mom still ride today. I'm so excited to be a part of this custom on a bike that I became so familiar with over the last month. Now, to learn how to ride it! I've signed up to take a weekend class at the community college by my apartment. (And when I say weekend class, I mean Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Worth it? We'll see!)



I've also tentatively taken up French. I say tentatively because it's an app on my phone. As the app takes me through the lessons, I take extensive notes and dedicate an allotted amount of hours a week to studying them. I've never really learned a spoken language before (sign language is my family's dialect of choice) so I'm motivated to become fluent as soon as possible! There's a movement I've become aware of called 'Give It 100'. The challenge is to practice something that you've wanted or needed to do for 100 days straight. No excuses. The community builds each other up and encourages each other not to skip a day. People are losing weight, learning how to unicycle and my personal favorite, a man is telling his wife he loves her in 100 ways in 100 days. I am going to give French 100 days in a row! And lucky ya'll, you get to be updated on it! (I wont update you every day. That's even more of a snooze than what I used to be!) Below is the link to the Give It 100 website. I encourage you to find something that you're interested in to dedicate a mere 100 days to. If I start today, my 100th day will be July 21st! What day will your 100th be?

https://giveit100.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment